Galette des Roix - A French Tradition

So I used to dream about this traditional French Galette for the first 5 years I was in the States.
Trying to find it in bakeries without success.
I would wake up from these dreams very frustrated and missing France.
And then, I found one in a french bakery in Salt lake city where we lived.
The dreams stopped.

It was so rare and expensive that I finally decided to make my own!
I make it every January.
And boy, it is so easy and fast to make!

Every time it turns out a little different.
But after trying different recipes, this is the one I have adopted.

The tradition explained


1 Pkg of Puffed Pastry
Both sheets rolled into a circle the size of the pie pan.

For filling mix together

1/2 cup + 1TBs of sugar
2 egg yolks
4 Tbs Butter soften
2 cups of Almond meal
1 Tbs Milk
1/2 tsp Almond extract
1/2 tsp Vanilla or Rum extract
2 egg whites beaten and fluffy

The How

Mix ingredients in order listed above.
Incorporate the beaten egg whites at the end gently in an up and down motion.

Lay first sheet in pan. pour filling. Cut extra edges leaving the dough folded over the rim of the pan.
Wet that rim. Position the top sheet over it and press down sealing the 2 sheets.

Make patterns with a sharp pairing knife to make it pretty. brush with milk.

Cook at 375 for 50mn or until it looks golden brown and yummy.


No comments: